The Greek Style Pita Sandwich! A simple yet delicious and healthy lunch option that’s perfect for days when you want something both tasty and nutritious. This classic treat is made of fresh ingredients and can be whipped up quickly. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a delicious meal, this classic Greek Style Pita Sandwich is the perfect option. Give it a try today, and you’ll see why it’s become a staple in Greek cuisine!
Greek Style Pita Sandwich Recipe
- ½ pound lean boneless lamb or pork
- 2 pita bread rounds halved crosswise
- ¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-calorie mayonnaise
- or salad dressing
- 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
- Nonstick spray coating
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 small cucumber thinly sliced (2/3 cup)
- 1 small tomato thinly sliced
- Partially freeze lamb or pork. Thinly slice across the grain into bite-size strips. Set aside.
- Wrap pita halves in foil. Heat in a 350° oven for 10 minutes. In a small bowl combine yogurt, mayonnaise or salad dressing, and dillweed. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, spray a cold wok or skillet with nonstick spray coating; preheat over medium-high heat. Add lamb or pork, garlic, and onion powder; stir-fry about 3 minutes or till meat is tender. Remove wok or skillet from heat. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Spread some of the yogurt mixture inside each warm pita half. Fill pita halves with meat mixture, cucumber slices, and tomato slices.