When it comes to comfort food, few dishes can compete with the classic meatball sandwich. This delicious sandwich has been around for many years and continues to be a favorite among both kids and adults alike. Whether it’s for a quick lunch or a comforting dinner, the meatball sandwich will always hit the spot! In this article, we’ll provide a simple recipe that will help you create the perfect meatball sandwich in no time. So grab your bread, sauce, and meatballs, and get ready to enjoy a delicious meal that’s sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters.
Meatball Sandwich Recipe
- 1 beaten egg
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup fine dry bread crumbs
- ¼ cup snipped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds toasted
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried mint crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ pound lean ground beef or lamb
- Nonstick spray coating
- 2 large pita bread rounds halved
- ½ cup shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- In a medium mixing bowl combine egg, milk, bread crumbs, parsley, onion, 3 teaspoons of the sesame seeds, the garlic, mint, and salt. Add ground beef or lamb; mix well.
- Shape mixture into 24 meatballs.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick spray coating. Preheat over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and brown on all sides. Cover skillet and cook meatballs over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes or till meat is no longer pink.
- With a slotted spoon remove meatballs from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- To serve, place meatballs in pita bread halves. Add lettuce and tomato. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds. Serve with yogurt. If desired, serve sandwiches on additional shredded lettuce.