Soup is one of the most comforting meals out there. There are so many different kinds, so why not try something new like Mushroom and Barley Soup?
This recipe is easy to follow, with a few simple steps that will have you enjoying a warm bowl of deliciousness in no time. The combination of earthy mushrooms and nutty barley creates a unique flavor that will please everyone at the dinner table.
Additionally, you can adjust the number of ingredients to make a more hearty version or a lighter version depending on your preference. No matter what you decide, this recipe will tantalize your taste buds and fill your kitchen with the delicious aroma of comfort food.
Mushroom and Barley Soup Recipe
- 5½ cups beef broth
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil crushed
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan bring beef broth to a boil. Stir in barley, onion, garlic, basil, Worcestershire sauce, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or till barley is nearly tender.
- Stir in mushrooms and carrot. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine cornstarch and water; stir into saucepan.
- Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with parsley.