Yum, spinach lasagna rolls – what a treat! This easy-to-follow recipe will surely become a hit with your family and friends. They’ll love the combination of mozzarella, ricotta, and spinach, all rolled up and baked in a delicious tomato sauce. This dish is great for weeknight dinners or special occasions, but it’s also nutritious. High in protein, calcium, and iron, spinach lasagna rolls are a great way to incorporate leafy greens into your diet. So let’s get started – it’s time to roll up some delicious spinach lasagna rolls!
Spinach Lasagna Rolls Recipe
- 1 10- ounce package frozen chopped spinach
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 1 large onion
- 1 medium green pepper
- Nonstick spray coating
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 16- ounce can tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 8- ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cook spinach and lasagna noodles separately according to the package directions. Drain and set aside. For the sauce, chop onion and green pepper. Spray a cold large saucepan with nonstick spray coating; heat over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook till vegetables are tender. Cut up tomatoes and crush basil. Stir undrained tomatoes, basil, tomato sauce, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon pepper into the vegetables. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or till slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a bowl stir together spinach, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, and nutmeg.
- Spread a scant ½ cup spinach mixture on each noodle. Roll up each noodle, jelly-roll style, beginning at a short end. Spoon 1 cup of sauce mixture into a 12x7½x2-inch baking dish. Place rolls, seam side down, in dish. Spoon on remaining sauce. Cover with plastic wrap; chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Before serving, remove plastic wrap. Cover with foil; bake in a 375° oven for 40 to 45 minutes or till bubbly.