If you’re looking for a classic appetizer that is sure to please a crowd, look no further than this delicious sweet and sour ham ball recipe. This dish has been around for generations and is a popular favorite at parties and family gatherings. The combination of sweet and sour flavors makes this appetizer a surefire hit. Plus, it’s an incredibly easy meal to put together with just a few simple ingredients
The best part is, this recipe can be customized to fit your personal tastes, so you can make it as sweet or as sour as you’d like. So let’s get started and learn how to make this classic dish.
Sweet and Sour Ham Balls Recipe
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup bran flakes ceeral
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ pound ground veal or lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 15¼- ounce can pineapple chunks juice pack
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pea pods thawed
- In a large mixing bowl combine egg, bran flakes, milk, and ginger. Let stand 5 minutes. Add meat and mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs.
- Arrange meatballs in a 12x7½x2-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 30 minutes. Spoon off fat.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set both aside. In a large saucepan cook carrots in chicken broth, covered, for 5 minutes or just till tender. Do not drain.
- Combine vinegar, cornstarch, honey, and soy sauce. Stir into carrot mixture. Stir in reserved pineapple juice. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly. Stir in pea pods and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in pineapple; heat through. Gently stir in meatballs to coat with sauce.
- Microwave directions: Place meatballs in a microwave-safe 12x7½x2-inch baking dish. Micro-cook, loosely covered with waxed paper, on 100% power (high) for 5 to 7 minutes, rearranging once. Drain. Prepare sauce as directed above.